Designed by Julia Morgan, 9 bungalow style cottages were built at the U.S. Immigration Station complex following the opening of the complex in 1910. The single-story cottages were built to house employees and their families working at the site. Homes were of simple design and not reminsicent of more well-known Morgan buildings like Asilomar or Hearst Castle.
The building were occupied by U.S. Army during WWII following the move to San Francisco by Immigration Services.
In 1971 buildings were burned in a fire training exercise which was used for the filming of, The Candidate, featuring Robert Redford.
Stone and cement foundations and walkways remain. Some fixtures like bathtubs and chimneys also remain on the site.
U.S. Immigration Station Barracks & Museum – Open Wed-Sunday. 11:00AM to 3:00PM
General Park Information – (415) 435-5390
U.S. Immigration Station – (415) 435-5537