In 1904, the president of Mills College, Susan Mills became interested in architect Julia Morgan because she wished to further the career of a female architect and because Morgan, just beginning her career, charged less than her male counterparts. Morgan designed six buildings for the Mills campus:
>1904 – El Campanil, believed to be the first bell tower on a United States college campus and the first reinforced concrete structure on the West Coast. It survived the 1906 earthquake. Its bells—named Faith, Hope, Peace, and Joy—can be heard across campus each hour.
>1906 – The Margaret Carnegie Library
>1924 – The Ming Quong Home for Chinese girls, built in 1924 and purchased by Mills in 1936, which was renamed Alderwood Hall
>1916 – The Student Union
>Kapiolani Cottage, which has served as an infirmary, faculty housing, and administration offices
>Mills’s original gymnasium and pool, which have been replaced by the Tea Shop and Suzanne Adams Plaza.