The College of Environmental Design, established in 1959, brings together instruction and research in architecture, city and regional planning, landscape architecture and environmental planning and urban design. Bernard Maybeck inaugurated instruction in architecture in 1894. Landscape architecture instruction dates from 1913, and the city planning program began in 1948. The college offers instruction at undergraduate, graduate professional, and advanced graduate levels.
The Environmental Design Archive is a subject specialty library of the UC Berkeley Library system and one of the premier architecture, landscape architecture, and city and regional planning libraries in North America. It is consistently ranked as one of the most prestigious design schools in the U.S. and the world. The school is located in Wurster Hall on the southeast corner of the main UC Berkeley campus.